Our Guest of Honour, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean
Minister for Manpower, Mr Lim Swee Say
Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China, His Excellency Chen Xiaodong
Chairman of Business China, Mr Chua Thian Poh
Distinguished guests, Ladies and gentlemen
It gives me great pleasure to join you this evening to recognize and honour the exemplary role models amongst you who have devoted themselves to the development and strengthening of the business, social and cultural ties between Singapore and China.
The bilateral relationship between Singapore, a city-state of 5.5 million, and China, a powerhouse with 1.4 billion people, has always been special.
Our pioneer leaders laid the foundation for our longstanding friendship dating before 1990.Over the short span of 25 years since the establishment of our formal diplomatic relations, we saw amazing progress:
• China is Singapore's largest trading partner. Between 1990 and 2014, trade grew by more than twenty-fold;
• Singapore is China's largest foreign investor for the past 2 years; and
• In 1990, our people made 100,000 trips between the two countries. Last year, that number reached 2.7 million.
And the best is yet to come. The recent state visit by China’s President Xi Jinping further reinforced our relationship by calling for the establishment of an “all-rounded cooperative partnership which progresses with the times” “与时俱进, 全方面合作伙伴关系”。 Also announced were a series of other new initiatives:
• The upgrading of the China-Singapore Free Trade Agreement, targeted for completion by 2016;
• The third government-to-government project in Chongqing;
• The doubling of Singapore’s quota under R-QFII, the RmB Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor scheme to 100 billion RmB; and
• The renewal and enhancement of the bilateral currency swap arrangement between MAS and PBOC.
To support the efforts by our respective governments, we need passionate individuals and corporations to carry the will and realise the full potential of the initiatives. We need people to take the lead, drive forward and be the role models to build upon governmental efforts and deliver a higher level of accomplishments that are beyond their original design.
As in past years, this year’s award recipients have excelled in this complex role. They have advanced our bilateral ties holistically. Before we hear their inspiring accomplishments, allow me to share my remaining remarks with you in Mandarin to be consistent with the mission of Business China of nurturing multi-lingual and multi-cultural inclusivity, and in the context of the changing socio-economic scene that we are all part of.
在适应新局面的历程中，我们除了关注自己的未来方向，也要注意到大环境的改变, 其中包括科技创新, 社会责任, 互联网媒体, 年轻人思维等的种种变化。在新的时代背景下，对社会、市场、客户、风险、以至对整个商业生态, 都需要进行重新定位。
虽然中国经济已经进入了一个与过去30年高速增长期有所不同的新阶段，但是新常态下出台的宏观政策和经济调节，同样会给大家带来了前所未有的发展机遇。 「一带一路」基础施,互联互通的推动，包含着巨大的跨境业务商机, 也包含着巨大的资金需求。资金的融通会更进一步强化人民币国际化的发展，随着资本市场的进一步开放，境内、境外的相互投资和资金流动、将变得更兴旺。
在新常态下，我们是见证者, 也是参与者。多年来、华侨银行在长三角地区、环渤海湾、珠三角、以及中国西部地区、持续拓展业务。去年我们完成对香港永亨银行（现在已更名为华侨永亨银行）的五十亿美元摒购。全面提高各产品范围, 扩大市场占有率，提升创新能力，从而加强核心业务的有机增长。
今天晚上，我们相聚于此，是为了肯定克服挑战, 迎难而上的企业和人士，表扬他们过去为促进新加坡与中国在经济、商贸、社会和文化上所做出巨大贡献! 让我们展望未来25年的友谊与合作, 继续巩固我们现有的良好双边关系。